Saturday, February 14, 2009

Generational Valentine Memories and Traditions

Valentine's Day always brings good memories of my maternal grandparents, who were married for almost 60yrs. It was often that we would go visit my grandparents during Valentine's Day. My grandfather celebrated his birthday on the 15th of February, so naturally we were in Coleman a day before or the day of. And almost every year, we had a big celebration. Memories surround me of candy boxes, perfume, jewelry and/or perfumed powder on my grandmother's dresser. As a young girl, it was then that I realized that my grandfather had a romantic side of him that we didn't see every day. He never forgot Valentine's Day. I particulary remember one Valentine's Day sitting on my grandmother's couch as my grandfather walked in from working. Apa (my grandfather) walked in, reached over to kiss my grandmother, wished her a Happy Valentine's Day and presented her with a red velvet rose that opened and closed and a bottle of perfume from the drugstore. Inside that velvet rose was a pair of earrings, at that moment I was blown away by his act of kindness and thoughfulness. Even as a young girl, I was impressed! By that time they had already been married for over 40yrs. I hold many sweet memories of my grandparents. I know he is in heaven now and I hope he realizes the standard he set for my husband. My grandfather was a protector, a Man of God, and a hard worker. My parents have been married 40yrs and I look at the 5yrs Joe and I have been married and I know that every marriage tells a story. It wasn't until I was married that I realized that "love" wasn't just a word or a feeling, that's only the beginning. Love is a verb. Now, I'm here in 2009 beginning and continuing the same traditions that have been passed down from generation to generation. Although Valentine's Day is one day, we just don't celebrate love on one day, we celebrate it as often as we can through our actions. Afterall, action do speak louder than words.

No comments: